Pandu Mirapakaya Pachadi | Red Chilli Chutney
Pandu Mirapakaya Pachadi is a recipe from my Amma. Before my marriage I happily enjoyed eating from amma's hand. But now it's totally different since i get very rare time to stay with her. Many recipes I learned from her, this recipe which I came across is totally new to me. Last time when she came to visit me, she taught me the chutney using fresh red chilli. At first I hesitate to taste the chutney looking at the fiery hot red color of it. But it doesn't taste so hot as i was expecting. She said these red chillies are milder in spice than any other chilli varieties. Adding garlic, tamarind and jaggery along with chilli gave a distinct taste - sort of sweet, spice and tang.
The chutney tastes best with idli, dosa, roti and adai. Grind without adding water to store for few days, also goes well with rice. Grind If you are looking for simple with no onion / tomato base chutney, then try it out and tell me how it went. I used this (below) variety of chilli which is not spicy like other chilli. Next time i'm planning to try with red bell pepper.
Preparation & Cooking Time : 10 minutes
Yield :1 cup
Ingredients:Fresh Red Chilli - 5 no.
Coconut bits - 2 tbsp
Garlic - 10 flakes
Whole Urad Dal / Minapappu - 1 tbsp
Tamarind - goose berry size
Jaggery - 1 tbsp
Salt to taste
Oil - 1.5 tbsp
Mustard Seeds - 1tsp
Asafoetida - 1/4 tsp
- Washand pat dry red chilli. Choose for bright red color with no wrinkled edges.
- Heat a tsp of oil in a fry pan. Fry the urad dal over low fire until golden. Add tamarind at the end to fry. Remove to cool. Grind to coarse powder.
- In the same fry pan saute red chilli, garlic and coconut separately.
- Pass this to the mixie / blender. Add turmeric, jaggery, needed salt. Grind chutney to the require consistency. Add very little water to grind properly.
- Season with mustard and asafoetida.
- Serve with idli, dosa.
- Adding coconut bits is optional but recommended.
- Tamarind and jaggery is must to combat the strong garlic taste.
Related Posts:Dry garlic Chutney
Beerakaya Thokku Pachadi