Aratikaya Vepudu | Plantain Fry - EzCookBook
I'm an ardent lover of plantain, even my daughter too. If I can afford to cook everyday, never mind we will enjoy eating it. This plantain fry is one of the most favourite vepudu, which I use to make once in every week. Love the crispy and appetizing color of the plantain. This goes well with rice, pappu and rasam. We generally use to have with hot rice and Dosakaya Pappu. An easy and tasty fry that takes only 15 minutes to prepare, so even bachelors can give a try. The same procedure can be followed to make potato fry, cabbage fry, beans fry.
Here is a quick idea to make an easy meal with in 30minutes.
Preparation & Cooking Time : 15 minutes
YIELD : 2 servings
Ingredients:Plantain / Raw Banana / Aratikaya - 2 no.
Red Chilli Powder - 3/4 tsp
Turmeric Powder - 1/4 tsp
Asafoetida - 1/4 tsp
Garlic - 2 cloves, crushed
Mustard seeds - 1tsp
Cumin / jeera - 1/2 tsp
Split urad dal - 1/2 tsp
Curry leaves - 6no.
Salt To Taste
Oil - 2tbsp
- Wash and peel the thick outer skin of plantain. Slit into four (lenghtwise), again dice into smaller slices, to make crunchy stir fry. This ensures to roast the plantain evenly. Put the sliced pieces in water to avoid discoloration, until you fry.
- Heat a kadai, add a tbsp of oil. Season with mustard, wait to splutter, throw in the cumin, urad dal, curry leaves, asafoetida, turmeric powder.
- Followed by add the drained plantain slices and stir to cook. Sprinkle some salt and let it cook for 3 minutes undisturbed. And sprinkle some water in between to ensure plantain not to stick to the pan bottom.
- Add drops of oil once in every minute to yield crispy and golden fry. Once it turned to light golden add chilli powder. Toss well to combine.
- Finally add 2 cloves of garlic crushed to enhance flavour to the plantain fry, also helps to suck out the stomach gas.
- Since this is a crispy fry, have it immediately to enjoy the crunchy and tasty plantain.
- If you feel to have vepudu little soft, dice the plantain to smaller cubes instead of slices and cook with water sprinkled in between to cook faster and become tender.
- For variation , roast coconut, roasted dal, cumin, red chilli to a fine masala and add to the cooked plantain at the end of cooking process.
Related Posts:Plantain chops
Plantain cutlet - fasting recipe