Vangi Bhath | How To Make Vaangi Baath(Eggplant Rice) Recipe (karnataka Style)
Vaangi Bhath , a popular recipe from the state of karnataka. The Word Vangi means Brinjal. The cooked rice mixed with home made spice powder and brinjals cooked in tamarind sauce to give birth to this excellent spicy rice "Vangi Bhath". Brinjals are my favourite veggie and almost once in a week I do cook with it. Check here for my other Brinjal recipes and rice recipes.
Preparation & Cooking Time : 30 Minutes
YIELD : 2 Serving
Ingredients:Cooked Rice(any rice brand or basmati rice) - 2 cups
Brinjals / Eggplants - 4-5 cut into 4 pieces
Roasted Peanuts - 2 tbsp for garnish
Thick tamarind extract - 1 tbsp
Salt To Taste
Oil - 2 tbsp
Mustard Seeds - 1 tsp
Urad Dhal - 1 tsp
Curry Leaves few spring
For Vaangi Bath Masala Podi:
Oil - 1tsp
Channa Dal - 2 tbsp
Black Gram Dal - 1 tbsp
Coriander Seeds - 2 tsp
Red Chilli - 4-5no
Sesame Seeds - 1 tsp
Cinnamon Stick - 2" piece
Cloves - 3
- Heat a fry pan with 1/2 tsp oil, throw in cinnamon stick and cloves. Now add coriander seeds, curry leaves and asefotida. Fry until aromatic for few minutes. Transfer to cool.
- In the same pan fry channa dal, urad dal until golden color. Throw in the red chillies and fry for further one minutes. Finally add sesame seeds before turn off the fire.
- Cool all the roasted ingredients and grind it. Store this powder in a air tight container and use it as needed.
- Heat oil in a wok. Add mustard seeds and let it splutter. Throw in the cumin seeds, split urad dal, curry leaves, one behind other.
- Add brinjals and turmeric powder a pinch. Sprinkle the ground powder . Pour in the 1/3 cup of water and tamarind extract. Cook covered for few minutes until brinjals are well cooked( but not mashed).
- Add cooked rice to the prepared brinjal seasoning and saute well. Add the required salt.
- Garnish with roasted peanuts.
- Dish out and serve with any raita and curry of your choice.
Note:You can prepare this rice using this procedure :
- Saute the brinjals in seasoned oil to enhance its taste(water is not required) and add vaangi powder and rice, salt.
- Replace lemon juice(1/2 of lemon) for tamarind at the end.
Related Posts:Coriander Rice
Carrot Capsicum Rice
Check for more Pulao and biriyani recipes.