Sweet Dumplings made with Apple.
Normally we use to make modakkam or kozhukattai using rice flour with sweet filling. But here I tried with all purpose flour like momos using apple. It tastes delicious with sweet and little feel of sourness to tongue. Good twist from regular version of momos. Try this recipe and give innovation on your own.
YIELD : 12- 15 Momos
For the Dough:
All Purpose Flour / Maida - 1 cup
Water - 1/3 cup + 1 tbsp
Baking Soda - 1/4 tsp
Salt A Pinch
For Apple Filling:
Apple - 2 small or 1 large
Grated Fresh Coconut - 2 tbsp
Brown Sugar - 2 tbsp
Cardamom Powder a Pinch
- First step sift flour in a mixing bowl. Add salt, soda and mix well. Make a well in the center, pour water little by little and start preparing a stiff dough.( dough should not be sticky to hands). Knead well and cover with wet kitchen towel and keep aside for 10 minutes.Now prepare apple filling.
- Wash, core, peel and grate apples. Heat a heavy bottom pan. Add a tbsp of ghee and wait till it melts. Add the grated apple and brown sugar.Start stirring constantly over medium flame till all water gets evaporated. Finally add grated coconut and saute for a minutes. Add a pinch of cardamom powder and put off the fire.
- Cool and divide the mixture into small gooseberry sized balls and keep aside. Now divide the dough to lemon size balls and roll it like a thin roti. Divide the rolled roti into small circles using any round shaped moulds. Place the prepared apple filling in each shape and fold the edges of the dough circles like sari pleats, twist and pinch once you reach the end point. Array the momos in the steaming tray.
- Heat a steamer with 1/2 cup of water at the bottom and place the momos tray. Cover and cook over high flame for 5 minutes.( do not exceed after 5 minutes, momos may tends to result rubbery). Dish out and serve the yummy sweet dumplings as treat to relish the tongue.
- Adding baking soda makes dough to be soft enough to eat.
- Steam cook for only 4-5 minutes to yield soft momos.
- Adding coconut will enhance the flavor of filling, and it is optional.
Channa Chat Wrap