A steamed savory cake specially made for fasting days using samo/moriayo.
Samo seeds or Moraiyo seeds or "Vari Tandool" in Marathi also popularly known as Bhagar. these seeds widely used during Fasting days in North India. Try this different version of fasting snacks to get over all boring regular fasting recipes.
YIELD –1 plate
Samo/Moraiyowi - 1 cup
Curd - 1/2 cup
Salt as per taste
Ginger-green chli paste - 1 tbsp
Bottle gourd - 1/4 cup
Eno/soda bi carb - a generous pinch
Black Pepper powder - 1/4 tsp
Coriander for garnishing
- Soak samo in curd for about 1 hour. Make sure samo is soaked properly, add little water if required to make a thick batter.
- After 1 hour grind samo and make a smooth batter to a thick consistency like idli or dhokla batter.
- Keep it for 6-8 hours for fermentation.
- Before preparing dhokla, add salt, ginger chilli paste, grated bottle gourd and eno. Mix all together well.
- Pour this batter to a greased steamer vessel/pan. Sprinkle pepper powder on it and put it in a steamer. I used pressure cooker as a steamer.
- Cover the lid without pressure valve and steam cook for about 12-15 mins.
- Allow to cool and cut into square. Sprinkle over chopped coriander for garnishing.
- Farali Dhokla is ready to serve. Serve it with green chutney.