Heart Shaped Indian cottage cheese dumpling immersed in Saffron flavored chilled creamy Milk
Ras Malai is a Bengali dessert very popular in all over India. Specially served in festivals and special occasions like wedding. Try this Hearty Ras Malai in Valentines day specailly for your dear valentines. Here goes the recipe of Hearty Ras Malai.
YIELD –15 nos.
Recipe Adopted from Manjula's Kitchen
For Malai Tikki:
Full Cream Milk - 1 ltr
Lemon juice - 1 lemon
Water - 3-4 cups
Sugar - 1 cup
Cardamom - 2-3 pods
For Milk Rabdi:
Full Cream Milk - 1 ltr
Sugar - 1 1/2 cup (Adjust as per taste)
Saffron - 8-10 strands
Pistachios and Almond chips - for garnishing
- For Malai Tikki
- Boil the milk in non stick heavy bottom pan. Stir frequently to avoid burn on the bottom of the pan.
- Mix lemon juice in half cup of water and slowly add this mixture in boiling milk. stir gently. The fat or curd will start separating from whey. turn off the heat.
- Once the fat has separated completely from whey strain it. Line in a muslin cloth in strainer and strain all mixture in it. Only fat will get collected in muslin cloth.
- Keep this fat/paneer along with strainer in running water for 1 minute so all the lemon content will wash out from paneer.
- Now take the cloth and squeeze out all the water from it. Wrap the cloth and press hard and keep the cloth under heavy vessel for 30 minutes. Taking the right amount of water out of the paneer is the most important part of this recipe.
- To check if enough water is out of the paneer, take a little piece of paneer on your palm and rub with your fingers. After rubbing the paneer for about 15-20 seconds, you should be able to make a firm but smooth ball. If the paneer is too dry, add a few drops of water, using the water squeezed from the paneer.
- Once the paneer is ready place on a dry, clean surface and knead the paneer for 3-4 minutes until it is almost rolls into smooth soft dough.
- Knead the paneer by dragging the palm of your hand hard on the paneer. Keep scooping it back to together and knead more. Your palm will be little greasy.
- Divide the dough into 15 equal parts and rolls them in smooth balls.
- Press each of them gently to make round tikkis. ( Generally Ras Malai are in round tikkis but I was preparing it for valentines day so i gave each of them heart shape using cookie cutter).
- Mix the sugar and water in a pressure cooker on medium high heat and bring to a boil.
- Add the paneer tikkis and close the pressure cooker. After the pressure cooker starts steaming, turn the heat to medium and cook for about seven minutes or 1 whistle.
- Make sure the cooker is large enough to accommodate the finished tikkis, as they will expand to about double in the volume while cooking in the syrup!
- Close the heat and wait a few minutes to cool down the the pressure cooker.
- Take out the tikkis from the syrup and squeeze them lightly,and keep aside.
- Boil the milk in a heavy bottom pan on medium heat until the milk reduce to about half.
- Make sure to frequently stir the milk to avoid burn in bottom of the pan.
- Soak Saffron in half cup of milk for about 10 minutes.
- Add the sugar, saffron mixture and the Rasmalai tikkis in milk. Let it cool down to room temperature and then refrigerate it to chill.
- Garnish with sliced almonds and pistachios.
- Delicious Ras Malai is ready to serve. Serve Chilled.