Quick and easy relish using agar agar / china grass and coconut.
Grab this jelly if you can !!
I would probably say, this multi color pudding is a great attempt. As this taste really delicious with the excellent flavor of coconut milk. Usaully I'm weird of all these jellies, I don't why? though I use to buy for my daughter, ven't tried at anytime myself. Now I became real fan of pudding.Agar Agar is said to be a vegetarian substitute of Gelatin. It is colloidal extract from red algae ( sea vegetable). Agar is a malay term of this red algae. This is widely used in food preparation as a thickening agent for soups, custards,candies, jellies,veg marsh mallows. Best option to employ for vegetarian food like dairy free recipes and vegan recipes. This is ready available in market in the form of bars, flakes, powder.
Setting Time: 2 hours
YIELD : 20 Jelly
Agar Agar / Chinagrass Powder - 1tbsp
Water - 2 1/2cups
Sugar - 150 grams
Thick Coconut Milk - 3/4th cup
Food Colors as per choice (I used Red, Yellow, Orange)
- Dissolve 150 grams of sugar in 2 1/2 cups of water in a sauce pan. Add agar agar powder and stir well.
- Place the sauce pan on stove on medium heat . Stir frequently to avoid agar agar thickening at the bottom of the pan until everything has dissolved.
- When the mixture boils, you can notice it is become thick. At this stage add coconut milk and stir for further 2-3 minutes and put off the flame.
- Now divide the mixture into three equal parts in a seperate bowl. Add food colors as per choice to each of the bowl and stir well to mix.( One color per bowl)
- Pour the Orange color mixture in a wide even bottom container and chilli in the fridge for 10 minutes to set. After 10 minutes touch the layer of the set orange mixture, it should be solid, nothing should stick on to hand.
- Now slowly pour the yellow mixture on top of the orange mixture from one end to spread evenly. Chilli in the fridge for 10 minutes to set. After 10 minutes touch the layer of the yellow mixture, it should be solid, nothing should stick on to hand.
- Now slowly pour the Red mixture on top of the orange mixture from one end to spread evenly. Chilli in the fridge for minimum 2 hours to set completely.
- The resulting mixture will be a solid firm jelly and slice the jelly as desired shapes using mould( I used Heart Shape mould) or simply square it using sharp knife. Serve it.
After setting and shape it process.
- The setting time is more important to get a good firm jelli.
- If you don't have different food colors simply avoid the steps 4 to 6. Just chilli the whole mixture and slice it as desired. The result will be of pure white base due to the addition of coconut milk.
- Further if you want to use coconut milk, the result will be of transparent white base, imagine jelly.
Coconut Vermicelli Delight