Delicious rice recipe with chickpea and babycorn combination. Seasoned with fresh homemade spice masala.
This simple and delicious rice preparation is the first recipe which I drafted in my hand written cookbook. So its a hearty recipe to me. The masala I used here has a unique taste and that blends with any vegetable combination. I tried cooking with capsicum, brinjal, okra, everything works good.
Serve this rice with a cucumber raita or simply with a spoon of natural yogurt and some chopped fresh coriander/ cilantro, which acts as a perfect foil for the spiciness of the rice.
This colorful, appealing, protein rich rice is a perfect lunch box pack for a filling meal.
Preparation & Cooing Time : 30 Minutes
YIELD : 2-3 Serving
Cooked Rice - 2 cups(use any brand)
Chickpea(brown) - 1/4 cup Boiled
Baby corn - 6 no. slit,cut into four pieces
Salt To Taste
Oil -2 tbsp
For Spice Masala:
Gram Dhal - 1 tbsp
Red Chilli Dry - 5no.
Coriander Seeds - 1/2 tbsp
Pepper Corns -1/2 tsp
Cumin Seeds - 1/2 tsp
Sesame Seeds - 1tsp
- Wash and soak chickpeas overnight or an hour in hot water before cooking. Pressure Cook for 4-5 sounds or until soft cook.
- Wash and slit baby corn about 1"inch pieces and cook in boiling water till soft and firm with added salt.
- Cook rice (3/4th cooked) and spread in a tray with little oil applied over it to remove moisture content.
- Heat a fry pan. Dry roast ingredients given under spice masala. Cool and grind to coarse powder.
- Now heat oil in a non stick pan or kadai. Add cooked chickpea and baby corn, saute for 2-3 minutes. Add the pound masala, stir well.
- Now add in the cooked rice and mix well. Add require salt. Sprinkle some water over the rice and let it sit on simmer for 5 minutes to make soft. Garnish with fresh coriander leaves. If possible with a dash of grated carrots.
- Serve with cucumber raita.
- This masala powder goes well with any kind of veggie combination . So if you did not find time to cook chickpea and baby corn simply mix with rice and a bunch of freshly chopped coriander leaves.
- Add cashews to add more taste.