Green Beans and Bengal Gram cooked in spicy coconut paste.
This is one such kootu that is a perfect treat if you like things hot. Usually my mom use to prepare this recipe with cauliflower, for a change I tried with beans and even I recommend with cabbage. This comforting side dish goes well with roti / paratha. Sometimes with Indian breakfast like Idli, dosa and even with Kerela style Appam too.
Prepartion & Cooking Time: 35 Minutes
YIELD : 2-3 Serving
Ingredients:French Beans / Green Beans-250 grams
Bengal Gram /Chenna Dhal/ Kadhalai Paruppu-1/4 cup(soak it in warm water for 15 mts)
Tomato -1 Chopped
Turmeric Powder a Pinch
Jaggery a Pinch
Salt To Taste
For Spice Paste:
Thoor Dhal/Split Red lentil-1 tsp
Bengal Gram/ Chenna Dhal-1tsp
Coriander Seeds-2 tsp
Dried Red Chilli-4no.
Grated Coconut- 2-3 tbsp
*Substitute chenna dhal with moong dhal for a change.
- Wash and cut beans into 1"inch pieces. Pressure cook both beans and lentil in a seperate vessel till firm soft .
- Heat a teaspoon of oil in fry pan add spice paste ingredients one by one. Gently roast till aromatic. Cool and grind to smooth paste with water added.
- Heat a tbsp of oil deep vessel. Add mustard and wait it splutter, now add cumin seeds, curry leaves and asefoetida. Add the cooked bean and lentil with finely chopped tomato. Stir ones and let it cook till tomatoes are soft.
- Now add turmeric powder and required salt. At this point add ground paste, jaggery and needed water for the gravy.
- Simmer and cook for another 5-8 minutes. Dish out.
- Serve hot with rice or Chappati/Roti. This even goes well with Idli and Dosa.
- Don't over cook beans and lentil. It should be firm to hold.
- If you like the taste of tamarind, substitute in place of tomato.
Related Posts:Nookal Kootu
Dudhi Chenna Dhal