Recently I fell in love with mexican cuisine apart from cooking with Indian, Italian and Thai foods. I use to try mexican dishes once in every couple of week. Don't know what makes me more additive to this cuisine? I tried burritos, wraps, quesadilla, tacos. Expecting my day to try enchiladas.
You know how important are beans in mexican food. Beans are indigenous to mexico. There are many varieties are available. Coming to today's recipe its a super quick and tasty recipe.There is nothing like preparing homemade mexican bean and this is an easy preparation too. You can prepare homemade mexican food at an afford rate. This is versatile recipe that goes well inside wraps, burritos, even with Indian Roti to make fusion cuisine. This is one such healthy recipe must try for a change in regular cooking.
(excludes bean cooking time)
SERVING SIZE :2
SERVING SIZE :2
Flour Tortilla -4 (Check for quick recap of home made tortilla)
Garlic -1clove chopped
Onion -1 medium chopped
Green Capsicum - 1/2 diced
Tomatoes -2 medium chopped
Dried Red Kidney Beans - 150g (soak overnight and cook )
Red Chilli -1 deseeded and finely sliced
Salt And Freshly Ground Pepper for Seasons
*If you are in short of time
*use 400g can chopped tomato.
*use 400g can red kidney bean, drained and rinsed.
In the middle of cooking process, tried to capture with steam
How To Cook Dried Bean:
- Wash and soak bean for atleast 6-8hours minimum or preferably overnight. The dried beans can stay good for almost a year. The fresh bean will cook up fast.
- Soaking up the pulse will speed up the cooking process. You can cook either on direct sauce pan with sufficient water, covered(slow cooking). Or Pressure cook for 4-5 sounds(fast cooking).
- Never add salt while cooking pulses and lentils since salt will tighten the bean while cooking, add near the end of the cooking process.
- If you even want to reduce soaking time boil the bean for 10 minutes in the water before soaking.
- To speed up the cooking time, if you wish add a 1/2 tsp of baking soda in boiling water.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and saute for 3-4mts, add garlic and green capsicum and fry for a further 5 minutes.
- Add chilli and tomatoes, bring to the boil, then reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes, until sauce thickens and reduces.
- Stir in kidney beans and cook until heated thoroughly.Once it reaches thick and sauce coated with kidney beans, season with salt and freshly ground pepper.
- Now heat up the tortillas under preheated grill and place in a pre heated oven 180c for 10 minutes.
- Alternative cook over fry pan on stove top.
- Serve immediately with mexican bean, yogurt and avocado.
- Serve each tortilla topped with a scoop of bean mix, with dollop of soy yogurt and coriander with some avocado.
- Wrap bean mix inside tortillas with grated cheese and fresh vegetables to make it more filling.
- While using canned bean make sure to rinse and drain thoroughly before use as it will be very salty and bit mushy.
- Always check for the label that it doesn't contain any sugar or other additives.
- If you in short of time to prepare tortilla at home, many ready to use tortillas are available in the market with different flavors like wholegrain, cornmeal, garlic, potato.