Steamed and spiced semolina Dumplings
A quick and delicious breakfast made in all south Indian homes is Rava Idli. This is instant and also tasty with sambar and chutney. However traditional Idli would take two days of preparation process, this rava idli is quick and easier. This breakfast recipe is very popular and origin from karnataka(Udupi cuisine) state of India. This is very famous now in allover part of India and everyone likes to try other cuisines popular recipes.
This Rava idli is my hubby's ever favorite. I tried and tasted ready made mih(MTR) which tastes good(recommended by my MIL), rest I don't know. My mom use to make this mix instantly at home and prepare such a delicious rava Idli which is more tasty comparatively. Once I called her and tried exactly the same procedure of her, hhhmmmm ultimate comes out well said my hubby . From then I stopped buying instant mix indeed starts to prepare at home. Learn to make this delicious Idli at home for breakfast / dinner.
PREPARATION TIME: 15 MINTUES
COOKING TIME: 15 MINUTES
YIELD: 10 - 12 Idli
SERVING SIZE: 4 per pax
Thick Sour Curd/Yogurt - 1cup
Onion -1medium chopped
Cashew Nut-10 cut into pieces
Green chilli-2 finely chopped
Curry Leaves few chopped
Ginger - 1tsp finely chopped
Split Urad Dhal-1tsp
Cooking Oil- 2 tbsp
Salt To Taste
Water- 1to 11/2cup
*If you don't have eno use baking soda 1/4 -1/2 tsp. If Such ferment the batter for minimum 25-30 minutes to raise.
* I always prefer using eno compare to soda since it soothe the stomach.
* It is available in all supermarket and pharmacy.
- Heat a fry pan with oil. Add mustard once it start splutter, add cashews fry till it turns slight brown.
- Add chopped ginger, green chilli, cumin, urad dhal and chenna dhal one by one and fry well.
- Now add curry leaves and onion. Saute till onion turns translucent.
- Now add one cup of rava to it. Fry till rava mix well with all the ingredients and turns little goldish color.
- Cool the mix for a while to room tempature. Add a cup of beaten curd to the rava mix. Start stirring with spatula, add salt and required water(3/4 - 1 cup) to make Idli Batter consistency.
- Set aside covered for 5 minutes to ferment. Now check the batter, It should be flowy but with thick consistency. If you find it too thick add some 1/4 -1/2 cup of water as needed.
- Finally add eno and mix well. It starts to raise. Immediatedly pour the batter to dhe greased tray or Idli moulds and steam cook for 12-15 minutes. The cooking time varies depends on the layer of thickness of batter in the moulds. Once the Idlies are done poke with fork or knife edge. If the batter doesn't stick to the fork it is well cooked otherwise steam again for few more minutes.
- Give a standby time of about 3-4minutes and remove idlis. Serve hot with sambar and chutney.
- Curd should be sour enough to make good tasty idli otherwise it tastes bland.
- If you wish can add grated carrot and chopped coriander to add more flavor.
- Adding eno helps to yield fluffy and soft idli. The batter consistency also plays a major role in yielding good soft and spongy Idlies.
- To yield Idli with cashew visible on top. First place one roasted cashew in each moulds and pour batter on top.
Horse gram Idli