Fish Cooked in Rich Coconut Cashew Gravy
Fish moilee is basically a kerelate dish that is cooked with the rich coconut gravy. Kerela dishes are famous for their aromatic coconut flavor. This is one such gravy that is rich and so delicious for coconut lovers. The first time I made it, it turned out excellent. Learn how to make this curry following the steps given.
YIELD – 2 SERVINGS
Fish(medium sized pieces) – 250 grams
Onion – 2
Ginger – 1 tbsp.
Garlic - 2 cloves
Tomato – 1
Green chillies – 2
Cinnamon stick – 1 inch stick
Cardamom – 2
Curry leaves – 1 spring
Coriander powder – 1 tsp.
Chilly powder – 1/2 tsp.
Pepper powder – 3/4 tsp.
Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp.
Salt – as per taste
Cashew nuts –1 1/2 tsp.
Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp.
Coconut Oil - for shallow frying
Coconut Oil - 2 tbsp.
Thick coconut milk - 1/2 cup (First milk)
Thin coconut milk - 1 cup (Second milk)
- Clean and chop the fish by removing the bones to bite sized pieces.
- Marinate the fish with pepper, turmeric powder and salt for half an hour.
- Chop the onions lengthwise.
- Crush the cinnamon sticks and cardamom.
- Chop the garlic, ginger and green chillies finely.
- Heat oil in a pan. Fry the fish on both side until golden brown.
- Grind the cashew nuts with a tbsp of thin coconut milk to a thick paste.
- Heat a tbsp of oil in another pan. Saute the tomatoes with a little salt and keep aside.
- Heat oil in another pan and season it with mustards.
- Add the Onions and saute until they are transluscent.
- Add the garlic, ginger and green chillies to this and saute until the raw smell disappears.
- Add the chilli powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder, salt and saute until raw smell of the masalas disappear.
- Now add the thin coconut milk and blend it well until it boils.
- Now add the fish and cook covered for 15 minutes.
- Add the sauteed tomatoes and cook covered for another 10 minutes.
- Add the thick coconut milk and cashew paste.
- Add the crushed cinnamons, cardamom and curry leaves to it and cook for another 10 minutes.
- Once the gravy thickens put off the stove and serve hot with roti or steamed rice.
Check out for more fish recipes