Bottle Gourd cooked in Indian style with Chana Dal and spices.
Dudhi Chana Dal curry is a common curry prepared regularly in almost all Indian household. A combination of dudhi and chana dal makes a healthy curry which provides required protein and nutrition. Serve it with Roti or Rice and make your complete meal. Here goes the recipe of Dudhi Chana Dal Curry.
YIELD –2 persons
Dudhi/Lauki/Bottle Gourd - cubed 1 cup
Chana Dal/Split chickpeas - 1/2 cup
Onion - 1 finely chopped
Tomato - 1 no. chopped
Ginger Garlic paste - 1 tsp
Oil - 1 tbsp
Mustard Seeds - 1 tsp
Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
Hing - a pinch
Turmeric - 1/2 tsp
Salt as per taste
Chili Powder - 1 tsp
Coriander powder - 1 tsp
Garam masala - 1/2 tsp
Coriander leaves for garnishing.
- Soak the chana dal in water for 3-4 hours. Drain water and keep aside.
- Heat the oil in pressure cooker.
- Add cumin seeds, mustard seeds and hing.
- Once they stop fluttering add onion, ginger garlic paste and tomatoes.
- Add chanadal with all the spices i.e. salt, chili powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder and garam masala. mix well and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add cubed dudhi/bottle gourd and mix well. add required water (4-5 tbsp or 1/4 cup).
- Close the lid of pressure cooker and cook for 1 or max 2 whistles.
- Once all pressure releases open the cooker serve out and garnish with coriander leaves.
- Serve hot with rotis.
Dont add so much water as bottle gourd tends to release its own water.
Dont overcook the curry else dal will be mashed and curry will not have authentic taste.
Low Carb Bottle Gourd Soup
Suraikai / Bottle Gourd Adai