Sour tangy onion gravy with added flavor of the fenugreeks.
|Vendhaya Kuzhambu / Fenugreek Gravy|
Making Kuzhambus are one of the easiest work in a kitchen especially in South India. Fenugreek has the property of cooling the body by decreasing the heat. Fenugreek also stimulates uterus, increase breast milk, lowers fever, reduces fever and studies have found that they also have anti tumor effects. This kuzhambu is a very good medicine for ladies during the menstruation cycle to reduce the body heat. My mom makes this often and this is one of my favourites.This can be taken after a heavy feast or festival so that this will help ease our stomach. Learn how to make this tangy gravy.
YIELD – 4 SERVINGS
Ingredients:Shallots - 20
Garlic - 4 cloves
Fenugreek / Vendhayam - 1 tsp.
Tamarind - 1 gooseberry size
Grated Coconut - 2 tbsp.
Cumin Seeds - 1 tsp.
Dry Red Chilli - 3
Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp.
Urad dhall - 1/2 tsp.
Curry leaves - 1 spring
Oil - 3 tbsp.
- Chop the shallots and garlic finely.
- Soak tamarind in 1 cup of warm water and extract the pulp from it.
- In a mixer grind the cumin seeds, dry red chilli and grated coconut to a fine paste.
- In a Pan or cooker heat oil.
- Add mustard, urad dhall and curry leaves and season it.
- Add the fenugreek seeds and fry well.
- Add the chopped onions and garlic and saute well until it is well cooked.
- Now add the tamarind pulp and the ground paste to this with required water.
- Cook until everything blends well and boils.
- If cooking in a cooker, cook until first whistle.
- The Gravy is ready now. Serve it hot with steamed rice and pappad.
- You can also add more fenugreek but it may taste bitter.