Semiya Payasam is one of the the most famous Indian sweet delight . In india any celebration is impossible without payasam. This enticing vermicelli pudding is really super easy and super delicious one among many Payasam recipes. Vermicelli is roasted in ghee and cooked with milk. This creamy pudding is then sweetend and garnished with cashew nut, raisins.
YIELD – 4 Cups
Vermicelli - 1cup
Milk - 5cups
Water -1/2 cup
Crystal Sugar -1cup
Cardamom Powder a Pinch
- Heat a heavy bottomed pan or preferrably non stick pan. Add ghee roast cashew and raisins Seperately. Tranfer to the bowl.
- In the same pan roast vermicelli until it turns golden brown. Mean while boil milk in sauce pan.
- Once the vermicelli turns to golden color and do not burn it. Pour the boiled milk to it and stir well.
- Let it cook on high flame for a minute. Reduce the fire to slow flame and wait till the vermicelli cooks soft and it will start becoming thicker and creamy texture.
- At this point add sugar and mix well. Now wait till it dissolves completely and thicker.
- Add water and cook for a minute(optional). This step is to make payasam little thinner. Sprinkle cardamom powder and turn off the flame.
- Garnish with ghee fried cashew nut and raisin mix.
- Serve Warm or cold.
- For heavenly experience have some vadai munching along with sipping payasam on other hand.
You can even boil vermicelli in water seperately and add it to the boiling milk. But taste wise the method described above will be more delicious. This is my suggestion.
Linking this recipe to our event Let's Party - Prasadam / Prasad Special