Well cooked mung bean is saute with tapioca pearl in a spicy seasoning with a dash of fresh coconut.
Sago / Javvarisi Umpa is very famous breakfast recipe in all part of India. Some part of the people prefer to cook this dish during fasting. The recipe calls with a healthy combination of mung bean/moong dal and sago, which are cooked and tossed in spicy seasoning. Once you taste this upma you definitely ask for more, such a tasty preparation that goes well with coconut chutney or simply with any pickle. Learn this recipe using our ez cook procedure and entice your family with a new recipe.
Preparation Time: 2 hours 30 minutes
Cooking Time:30 minutes
YIELD :2 Servings
Sago/ Javvarisi / Saggubhiyyam/ Sabhudana -11/2cup
Moong Dhal / Split Green Gram/ Mung Bean-1/2cup
Green Chilli -5 slit lengthwise
Cashewnut - 5no
Cilantro -1tbsp finely chopped
Grated Coconut -2tbsp
Salt - 1tbsp
Oil - 2tbsp
Mustard Seeds -1/2tsp
Cumin Seeds -1/2tsp
Chenna Dhal -1/2tsp
urad Dhal -1/2tsp
Curry Leaves -1tbsp finely chopped
Turmeric powder -1/2tsp
- Soak sago in 3 cups of water for 1/2 an hour. Drain the excess water and set aside for 2 hours.
- Cook the moong dal in boiling water till 3/4th done. Drain the excess water and set aside to cool.
- Heat oil in the fry pan add all seasoning one by one, fry till aromatic.
- Add green chilli, cashewnut. Fry for few minutes until cashews turn golden..
- Add soaked sago and cook covered for 8 minutes with occasional stirring.
- Now add moong dal and fry for few minutes till all ingredients well blend with each other.
- Add grated coconut, cilantro and salt. Stir Well and add 2tbsp of lemon juice before removing from fire.
- Serve this Yummy Sago Kichidi with Cilantro Coconut Chutney or Coconut chutney or with pickle .
- Soak and cook sago according to the packet instruction, as it varies depends on the size you use to cook.
- Add grated carrot,green peas to the kichidi for addition flavour.
- Do not over cook mung bean as it will result mussy while you cook with sago.