Spicy tasty Plantain podi with tamarind, lentil and chilli combination.
(reposting with new pics)
In this recipe plantains are chopped and blended with dhal and spice mixture to get exotic Indian flavored podi . This podi can be prepared and stored upto a week and goes well with rice, dosa, roti, also works with wraps for easy meal option. If use want to make use of this abundant mixture on the same day, stuff inside bread as a sandwich for a quick evening snack. This recipe can be made as simple as you read the steps below. Here goes....
Plantain - member of banana family, are starchy and low in sugar. Plantain a starchy veggie with astringent taste. These are used much like potatoes in the dishes. Plantain got a good source of potassium and fiber, contains significant amount of vitamin A and vitamin C.
Prepartion & Cooking Time: 20 minutes
YIELD: 2-3 Servings
Plantain -1 large or 2 medium
Onion -1 medium chopped
Garlic - 5 Chopped
Red Chili - 5 no
Urad Dhal -1 tbsp
Bengal Gram Dhal -1 tbsp
Tamarind - small lime size ball
Cumin Seeds -1 tsp
Salt -1 1/2 tsp
Oil -2 tbsp
- Peel outer skin and wash plantain under running water,chop finely.
- Heat a fry pan, add very little amount of oil, add urad dhal, bengal dhal, Red chilli, tamarind saute it for 5minutes till golden brown.
- Remove from fire and cool the ingredient and make powder with salt using mixer.
- Meanwhile heat the pan add oil, chopped plantain and saute well till it becomes soft and tender.
- Cool the plantain and add it to the powder in the mixer and again give a pulse.
- The mixture should be a coarse powder.
- Heat a tsp of oil in the fry pan, add cumin seeds, saute onion and garlic and cook till it turns transparent pink.
- Add in the powder and continue stirring until the plantain chops are well done, use oil if needed.
- Serve with hot steamed rice with Ghee.
- The plantain chops will be good to consume for upto three days. Refrigerate the remaining plantain chops if you wish to continue using till a week.
- Do not grind ingredient while it is hot, cool and powder it. Otherwise it will get stuck to the mixie jar and texture of the podi won't be perfect.
Vazhai poo Vadai