Hot and spicy chicken cooked with delicious Biriyani rice.
Chicken - 250 gms
Basmathi rice or biriyani rice - 1 cup
Onion - 1 big
Tomato - 1/2 small
Green chillies - 2
Cinnamon - 1" stick
Cardamom - 2
Cloves - 2
Fennel seeds - 1/2 teaspoon
Star Anise - 2 petals
Bay Leaf - 1
Ginger Garlic paste - 1 teaspoon
Garam Masala - 1 teaspoon
Chilli powder - 1/2 teaspoon
Coconut milk - 1 cup
Water - 1/2 cup for rice and 3/4 cup for chicken
Oil + Ghee - 4 teaspoon
Coriander leaves – to garnish
- Soak rice in water for at least 1/2 an hour. Drain it. Fry it in 1/2 a teaspoon of ghee until it is yellowish.
- Clean the chicken well and cut it to medium sized pieces
- Chop onions and tomatoes lengthwise.
- In a pressure cooker heat oil and ghee together.
- Add whole cinnamon, cardamom, cloves, fennel seeds, star anise, bay leaf and fry them.
- Add onions and chillies with a pinch of salt and sauté very well until the onions become translucent.
- Now add the tomatoes with a pinch of salt. Sauté until it mashes well.
- Add chicken and ginger garlic paste and toss well.
- Once it turns white add garam masala and chilli powder to it and cook until raw smell of the masalas disappears. Add salt, water and cook until chicken cooks well. Ensure that chicken doesn't become dry.
- Add coconut milk, water and salt for rice. Let it boil.
- Add rice and cook by simmering for 7 minutes after 1st whistle. Once done garnish with coriander leaves.
- A good accomplishment for chicken briyani will be onion or cucumber raita with a boiled egg. Serve it hot.
- For people who don’t have time to extract coconut milk u can always use ready-made coconut milk available in super markets. But when u add ready-made milk dilute ½ cup of milk with ½ cup of water to make the 1 cup coconut milk required.
- Don't use sesame oil. It will spoil the taste of the briyani. Use refined oil or corn oil or canola oil.